Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sunshine in the Rain

Today was my catch up - read emails, accomplish lots - day.  When I sit at my desk, I look out over the road that leads to the bridge leading to the other side of the river in Kiev.  It's a great vantage point.  And, it's beautiful as I watch big storm clouds roll through and the streams of sunlight and break in the clouds that bring relief from the rain and the storms.  The 15th floor gives an interesting perspective.

Today is also the 3rd anniversary of the home going of my mother.  In many ways it seems like yesterday - and yet at times it feels like much longer.  It's always a struggle to explain tangibly what it feels like to lose someone close to you.  Earlier this week a friend died and also late last night another friend entered heaven as well.  Since I've moved to Kyiv 2 1/2 years ago, numerous friends and family members have died.  This is perhaps one of the hardest things for me to deal with so far away.  I have found that there is not great closure because I don't attend visitations or funerals because of the distance and I am saddened that I cannot help people during their time of grief as so many graciously did for me and my family three years ago when my mom passed away.

It was a crazy weather day here.  The rain and sun were switching places about every 20 minutes.  It served as a powerful, tangible reminder that just like the sunlight continues to break through the clouds, we have the hope of heaven and the power of the resurrection.  So, today as I watched the numerous rain showers move through and welcomed the rays of sunshine, I couldn't help but think that it was God's way of reminding me that amidst our tears and the ache of missing those we love, we cling to the hope of heaven.  It's hard to see that hope when you are in the middle of the storm, but from the 15th floor, you see the sun coming.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18  "Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

1 comment:

  1. Hugs to you! I know where you're coming from. Grateful for the Father!

    ReplyDelete