Thursday, April 21, 2011

The rest of the Story...

I posted this note on Facebook:  But, what does it mean to linger at the cross?  Can I ever understand even a small, even tiny glimpse of the suffering Jesus endured by taking on the sin of the World?  We, (Westerners), don't like to be uncomfortable.  Does this make me uncomfortable?  Why do I jump so quickly to Sunday?

  ...the rest of the story:  I've been thinking this Easter Week about how difficult it is for us to linger at the cross.  Our humanity wants to jump to the end of the story.  After all, we know who wins!  And, while I think it's great to celebrate that, I'm learning how important it is to understand Jesus' suffering so that I can fully understand and appreciate His triumph.

Part of it is being in a different culture as well.  In Ukraine, you never wish anyone a happy birthday until the actual day.  And, of course, you never greet anyone with "He is Risen!"  until Easter Sunday morning, or the day after.  (still a holiday)

So, my challenge to myself and to others this year is to stay at the foot of the cross until Sunday morning.  Let the suffering sink in.  And, use this time to pray for those who suffer around the world.  I've been praying for those suffering in modern slavery this week.  Jesus suffered greatly.  He understands their pain and suffering.  And, praise the Lord, He meets us all exactly where we are at.  This week and always...

No comments:

Post a Comment