Thursday, November 12, 2009

What's for dinner?

Last night I had dinner with a good friend and her youngest daughter. I've put together a photo album to walk through when talking with people about what I'll be doing in Kyiv. Even though they are very familiar with my tasks, I walked through the photos with them. At the end I asked if they had any questions.

"What do you eat in Ukraine?" It makes me smile, especially when kids have fun, every day questions... I told her I eat bread with butter and cucmbers for breakfast. Then her ears perked up when I told her you could buy or make pizza and there are 26 McDonald's in Kyiv! Many times on my way to language school I stop and get a cup of coffee and look over my Russian homework before walking into school at McDonalds.

Her eyes lit up as we talked about the 'familiar'. I'm always interested in how each one of us look for points of commonality wherever we are. There is comfort in familiarity. And, sometimes those breif encounters with the familiar gives us the energy and the inquisitiveness to seek the unfamiliar!

No comments:

Post a Comment